Thursday 6 December 2007

The Golden Compass

Just got back from an afternoon showing of the movie The Golden Compass. I read the books two or three years ago (after the first draft of ITLAD had been written) and I was stunned by how Philip Pullman had, by pure coincidence, applied not only my Daemon-Eidolon Dyad to a fantastic story but had also chosen to call the alternate self a daemon. The movie is even closer to my Dyad in that each character 'talks' to their Daemon as I imagine those people, such as TLErs do so on a regular basis. If you get the chance go and see it and let me know what you think. I am sure that this movie will be the 'must-see' for Christmas and The new Year. I suspect that the concept of the Daemon will be all over the press, magazines, radio and television in the next few weeks. Can I ask that if you have friends, associates or acquaintances who talk about this please mention my theory. it is a perfect introduction for those new to the idea.

By the way, the movie confirms something that I have long suspected but avoided doing because of clearly negative connotations - the correct pronunciation of daemon is deemon not daymon. Now that people will be more used to this I will correct it in my talks and lectures.

No comments: