Wednesday 2 April 2008

A Prophet or simply a self fulfilling prophecy?



Tupac Shakur was an incredibley talented and versitaile artist. Perhaps the greatest thing about him was his honesty as a human being, he was good bad, creative, destructive, he personified the entire human spectrum. Many people didn't not see this talent due to the gangsta rap image he went out of his way to create in order to hide his entirely intense female side.

There are many conspiracey theories regarding 2pac's death. For those of you that aren't familiar with his work, 2pac predicted his own death in his lyrics on a very regular occasion, he even acted it out in an extremely eiree music video "I ain't mad at cha". This is why he spent so much time in the studio and that over 10 years after his death he still has material being released. A year or two before he died, Tupac changed his name to Makaveli. It is a common misconception that Machiavelli faked his own death. There is no historical evidence that he did, despite this the connections were made and motives were established for this change of identity.

Are people that predict these kind of things tuned into the future, or are they simply creating it out of the need for attention or creative frustration? I'm not sure how much Anthony knows about the late, great Mr Shakur but i think it may be worth looking onto as there is another link between creative writing and an ability to predict the future events?

In the event of my Demise
when my heart can beat no more
I Hope I Die For A Principle
or A Belief that I had Lived 4
I will die Before My Time
Because I feel the shadow's Depth
so much I wanted 2 accomplish
before I reached my Death
I have come 2 grips with the possibility
and wiped the last tear from My eyes
I Loved All who were Positive
In the event of my Demise


I recommend you check out a film called Gridlock'd starring Tim Roth and Tupac, he was an extremely talented actor who was just reaching his peake when he died! Tupac had an incredible talent for poetry, obviously as he wrote rap lyrics for a career. He has had several books of poems published that would surprise many, some dedicated to his mother, one dedicated to Marilyn Monroe. Is there a strong link between communication with the Daemon and an abilty to write such poetry?

If in my quest 2 achieve my goals
I stumble or crumble and lose my soul
Those that knew me would easily co-sign
There was never life as hard as mine
No father-no money-no chance and no guide
I only follow my voice inside
if it guides me wrong and I do not win
I'll learn from mistakes and try 2 achieve again.

Karl would disagree, but he's one of those virgin lifers!! Here's a link to some more poetry.

http://seadeeper.com/poems/tupac.html

10 comments:

SM Kovalinsky said...

Thank you, Hurly, for this very informative and enlightening post. I did not realize Tupac was such a wonderfully complex person. Judging from my studies of Tennessee Williams and Charlotte Bronte and other writers and creative people, there does indeed seem to be a real correlation between intensely creative types and seeing the future, in particular, death. And of course I think true creativity arises from the Daemonic realm, personal and collective. Really your best post to date, Hurly (since I've been on here). In my opinion. Thank you, HB. . .

Hurlyburly said...

Thank you very much Susan. There was me considering it to be my most vague and unhelpfull post to date and then you go and say something like that, many thanks!

The average person that knows very little about Tupac and his life will (and usually does) pass him off as just an angry stereotype. I think there is a lesson to be learned there about judging people. Beneath the surface of many people lies many layers of creaetivity that not everybody is willing to acknowledge.

My favourite Tupac story was told by one of his entourage. Tupac was in the car listening to music and a young hip-hop fan of his came jogging up alongside the car to greet him. "What's this?" the guy said reffering to the music he was listening to. "Oh just the radio" replied Tupac. It wasn't the radio, it was a cranberries cd he liked.

I think this story beatifully illustrates his issues with worrying about his image and how it was one of his greatest qualities aswell as his biggest downfall.

SM Kovalinsky said...

HB- That is a sweet story, and very illustrative of human vulnerability in general. It nicely augments your fine post. ( By the way, that is a very nice photo you chose to head the post with, and very revealing of his sensitivity and underlying vulnerable child-likeness. I can see clearly the femininity you spoke of him fighting against. It is also true that there is duality of gender in all great persons; in other words, the greatest men will have something quite effeminate about them. Think of Morrissey. I see this in Barack Obama, in his walk and mannerisms. Even saw it in Tony, in the YouTube lectures. It is a very fine thing, really, the best part of creative men.I would even go so far as to say I see it in the photos of you, and of Karl--- but you may begin throwing rocks from the UK--I'd better quit now.)

Hurlyburly said...

You shouldn't think this way!! I agree entirely with what you're saying Susan, your posts always end with a retreat!! It simly isn't necessary!! GIVE IT UP, WE LIKE YOU!!!!!

ra from ca said...

Your post was very thought provoking for me. Thanks Hurlyburly.
For myself who created a premonitory painting and has lived to see the horror become a reality
I struggle with the concept of self-fulfilling prophecy, but don't discount it entirely.
There is perhaps a grain of truth in it. On the other hand, those who are born into negativity
through no fault of their own may struggle to overcome that negativity and will not easily
create an internal world of positive sunshine, so those who tell you have to do is think positively and all will unfold beautifully are not particularly helpful.

The story of Tupac is very sad and unfortunately so prevalent in young men. I wish I knew what it would take for young men to overcome their painful struggles with their identity and lack of hope and find some peace of mind. I have no magic answer for them I am hoping that Barack Obama will provide a positive example to us all. I am also encouraged by Oprah's work with Eckhart Tolle whose recent book is very helpful to people who are struggling.

Hurlyburly said...

Thanks RC.

With regards to "On the other hand, those who are born into negativity
through no fault of their own may struggle to overcome that negativity and will not easily
create an internal world of positive sunshine"

I think he was well aware of this:

The Rose that Grew from Concrete

Did you hear about the rose that grew
from a crack in the concrete?
Proving nature's law is wrong it
learned to walk with out having feet.
Funny it seems, but by keeping it's dreams,
it learned to breathe fresh air.
Long live the rose that grew from concrete
when no one else ever cared.

ra from ca said...

That is a very beautiful bit of writing. Why is it poets in particular die too young? Sometimes I think they are
sent to inspire us. They are angels
sent to make us pay attention.

SM Kovalinsky said...

I agree with what you've said, RA. And also nicely put. Hope you received my e-mail.

HURLYBURLY : What a fine young thing you are, to reassure me as you have. I thank you, truly, for your kindness.

Karl Le Marcs said...

HurlyBurly, my good man, excellent post.
(what's happened?)
*big smile*
Not being a particular fan of rap music (or whatever the young people call it these days) I'm not overly familiar with Tupac (other than my SixPac obviously - which, yes, is admittedly more of a Party Seven!; ooooh look a Working Men's Club gag in a modernist post on rap, surreal thought patterns eh!!!), now where was I before almost getting lost in those paranthesis.
Ah Tupac, yes, thanks for showing me the more poetic and philosophical side of this artist, good work Martin.
*smile*

Karl Le Marcs said...

*Throws hissy fit at Susan Marie for "seeing effeminate side" in my photo*
Hee Hee!
I'm a man who is completely confident in my sexuality so I am very much in touch with my feminine side - indeed the vast majority of my friends throughout my life are women.
And I really do agree with you Susan Marie on the requirement of creativity to be allowed to flow through a medium of duality equilibrium between masculine and feminine thought patters, emotions and feelings.
*flounces off*